Advice on new lens for wildlife photography

Started Nov 8, 2018 | Questions thread
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,721
Re: Advice on new lens for wildlife photography

calson wrote:

A favorite lens of mine with a DX camera such as yours is the Nikon 80-400mm zoom lens. On a DX camera it provides the view angles of a 120-600mm lens on a full frame camera and has fast autofocus. I have used this lens extensively on a D7200 and even used it with the 1.4x teleconverter with excellent results. It also takes the 77mm size filters which is common to the majority of Nikon lenses. Nice to only need one set of filters.

I also have the 200-500mm lens but the autofocus is a lot slower and it functions like a full frame 300-750mm lens and 300mm is too long in many situations with many animals.

I would look for a good used copy of the lens at a place like fredmiranda's buy and sell forum where the current owner and not a dealer is offering it for sale.

Interesting about the 80-400, I don't know much about it but it sounds interesting.  And good to know it works well with a 1.4x TC and about the smaller filter size.  It might be a better option for me than the heavY 200-500 or the two 100-400's out there.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow