Telephoto upgrade

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mkphoto79 Regular Member • Posts: 295
Telephoto upgrade

I’ve been debating replacing my kit telephoto zoom lens for quite a while now. I’ve been upgrading my other glass (ultra-wide to an EF-S 10-22, my standard zoom to an EF-S-17-55/2.8) and getting some prime lenses in my kit. Its been a struggle convincing myself its worth upgrading the telephoto that came with my kit though, probably because its my least used lens…….though with good reason since it’s the EF 75-300 iii (not the USM version). It gets soft starting around 135 and by 200 its very iffy no matter how much I stop it down.

I’d use the lens for all kinds of random stuff, my kids playing, kids sports (outdoors), landscape, some shooting birds but nothing serious. Just general use mostly.

I’m thinking of taking the jump into third party lenses now. I almost had myself set to pick up an EF 70-200 f/4 L IS but its rather expensive even used, and I’m wondering if I’d really want to be pulling out a white lens all the time, especially since right now I’d be putting it on a Rebel body. (though I’m planning to upgrade to an 80D in the next year-ish)  I know they're great lenses but I just cant convince myself its worth it other than to brag that I've got a white lens.

With all that I started looking more seriously at the EF 70-300 IS USM ii and the Tamron 70-300 VC. There are very few reviews that directly compare the lenses but the Tamron seems to get a lot of really good reviews. The few reviews I’ve seen comparing them directly pretty much put them at equals. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. The one thing I like about the Tamron is that it holds a faster aperture further into the focal range than the Canon does. Not that either is a fast lens but that could be helpful in real world situations.  Other than that does one actually stand out or are they truly equals to each other?

There doesn’t seem to be as many complaints about Tamron lenses front/back focusing or in general having issues, or am I just not looking hard enough? Does this particular lens have a bad history with that, assuming I'd buy one new? That’s probably the biggest thing I’m worried about.

What would you guys do, stick with Canon or take the leap over to a Tamron lens? (please don’t suggest an EF-S 55-250, just don’t want it)

Thanks Everyone!

-- hide signature --

-Mike

mkphoto79's gear list:mkphoto79's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +3 more
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow