Advice on new lens for wildlife photography

Started Nov 8, 2018 | Questions thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,292
Re: Advice on new lens for wildlife photography

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I have a number of suggestions.

First, the idea of getting a 70-200 and using it for wildlife with a TC seems more like a 'wanna' than a 'need'. You already have the focal range covered, so you would be duplicating things unless you shot at wider apertures.

Second, don't bother with a 400mm lens. It's not enough longer than your 70-300 to matter much, not with the latest crop of long zooms. That said, I'll give you this idea - if you want an all-round lens that can serve in several roles, consider the Nikon 80-400g. I almost never bother shooting my 70-200 anymore, and the 80-400g certainly goes on travel trips in the same space the 70-200 would have needed. It's almost long enough, and really quite good, especially below 400mm.

As for the 200-500 and Sigma 150-600 Sport being too heavy, I understand, but I'm wondering why the Tamron and Sigma Contemporary make the cut. For wildlife, I recommend one of these four lenses. Their optical quality pretty much tracks their price, with diminishing returns. All four are just fine and capable of getting you shots you're not getting now. Get whichever one seems reasonable to you and be happy with it.

Once you get something like a 200-500, or 150-600, you may also find yourself needing something shorter along with you...

I agree with this though I'd rate the IQ of the Nikon and Sport too close to call.  AF speed of the Sport is faster yet the Nikon is fast enough that it would be very unusual that you would miss a photo because of it

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow