Huawei Mate 20 Pro's 40MP mode is real deal this time!

Started Nov 1, 2018 | Discussions thread
Stevan G Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro's 40MP mode is real deal this time!

bigley Ling wrote:

_vlad wrote:

noisephotographer wrote:

My guess is that Huawei doesn't really use software image processing in 40 megapixel mode. I guess that in 40 megapixel mode the image processing is done by a conventional image signal processor. I heard that Huawei's raw files have more details.

You are correct. 40MPix JPG engine has some conventional processing + sharpening and noise reduction, vignetting and greenish corners compensation. Maybe something else but to much less extent than standard 10MPix - which sometimes processes too much. Regarding details - there is much more detail in raw - however to get the best result shooting has to be done carefully as in 40MPix there is no IS.

Makes sense to use a dedicated hardware image processor when it comes to processing 40Mp images. The current SOCs may be able to handle the processing but it probably would take longer and use more battery energy to process.

I don't know how easy that would be to implement on Android OS without fiddling with the core, I guess Google with its Pixel is the best candidate to implement a DSP.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow