Considering an Epson P400

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Russell Proulx Contributing Member • Posts: 769
Considering an Epson P400

My desktop printer is a small Artisan 50 and for larger work I use a Pro 3800. Both produce excellent results printing from Photoshop (with profiles) and I suspect the ink based Artisan 50 might even have a slightly wider color gamut. While it's less archival than pigment printers, It's fine for work that doesn't need to last more than a few years. I'm now on my 3d Artisan 50 as I use it quite a lot, but it's getting quite old and will be difficult to replace if/when it breaks.

I'm considering the Epson P400. The current rebate makes the price very attractive. But it's quite a bit larger than than the Artisan 50 and there are a lot of scary user reviews on Amazon etc.. One rarely hears from 'happy customers' so it's not unusual to find comments from folks who are having problems with theirs. Anything one buys these days can have problems on arrival and that's what warranties are for.

If you are using an P400, are you happy with it?

With Epson's Win10 driver is it easy to turn off the gloss optimizer when printing on Ultra Premium Photo Luster?

Does the paper jam a lot as some folks report?
(I would be using the standard tray and not the back feeder)

Are the per-print costs a lot higher than previous Epson 6-ink printers?
(cartridges size seems similar to Artisan 50 so I would expect it to be no worse)

Do you see any improvement in color gamut over previous Epson pigment printers?
(I typically print using Epson's papers with their provided profiles).

Thank you to anyone who can share their experiences with the P400.

Russell Proulx's gear list:Russell Proulx's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow