Which 17mm fast lens

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Ad12 Junior Member • Posts: 46
Which 17mm fast lens

Hello

I am going to India soon, I only want to take two lenses. Between brightness, focal length, and sharpness, I've decided either a long range zoom and prime, or a fast quality zoom and my 55-250. I have an 800d (t7i)

In terms of the fast, sharp high quality zoom, i'm having a dilemma, three choice as I see it. 17mm sharpness is important to me, as well as across the board, which do you recommend?

Sigma 17-70: great focal range, relatively fast for low light things. Seems very sharp. My concern; the reviews and DXO say at 17mm the corners never become sharp.

Sigma 17-50: Faster f2.8 constant for low light, seems very sharp according to DXO and reviews. Crucially, the 17mm seems sharper in the edges and better than the 17-70 according to DXO.

Tamron 17-50; faster, f2.8, and looks the sharpest on DXO, especially at 17mm. However, I read it takes time to stabilise its VC and isn't good for using in a rush?

I guess the canon 17-50 also possible, but the image quality seems relatively poor.

Any thoughts? One of the above plus my 55-250 should give me good focal range, low light abilities, and sharp good quality on my trip I think.     I was also wondering how the auto focus is for moving subjects?

Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow