Advice on new lens for wildlife photography

Started Nov 8, 2018 | Questions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,779
Re: Advice on new lens for wildlife photography

I have been lucky enough to shoot wildlife with an M4/3 lens equivalent to 70-200mm on your D7000.  This includes large mammals in low light at 5-25 yards on certain types of safari in Africa and India, whales and dolphins at 50-100 yards in Mexico and foxes and badgers, also in low light, at 10-20 ft in my garden.  However, these are exceptions and most of my wildlife photography and virtually all of my bird photography has been done with much longer lenses.  My main lens now is a 100-400mm lens on M4/3, equivalent to about a 170-530mm on your camera.

A 70-200mm f/2.8 can be a useful lens in a wildlife photographer's bag, but in no way is it long enough to be your primary wildlife lens, even with a 1.4x TC.

So I think that you have the choice between a 100-400mm or longer 200-500mm or 150-600mm lenses.  If you want to shoot birds, especially smaller birds, go for a longer lens.  If birds are of secondary importance, then I would go with a 100-400mm.

If you don't want to carry too much weight, then consider a bridge camera for part of your wildlife shooting.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow