A few questions about IBIS

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,656
A few questions about IBIS

Something I don't understand regarding the way IBIS works in the Z7 and probably the Z6 as well. Perhaps I misunderstood the function but here is how I understand it is:

The camera has a 5-axis IBIS when the native lenses are used. Those lenses have no built in VR, so everything is based on the sensor shifting mechanism.

The camera has 3-axis vibration reduction with VR lenses, two provided by the lens, one by the sensor shifting mechanism.

What about legacy lenses? Old manual focus lenses without electronics must be configured in the camera's lens list to be able to provide vibration reduction. This is OK, but will I get 5-axis, or what? If I am not wrong, IBIS will give me 5-axis vibration reduction in this case.

What about if I switch the VR off in my VR lenses? In that case the camera will still receive lens data, but what sort of vibration reduction will I get? To my brains, this is similar to the legacy lens use above, so I should get the same type of vibration reduction as with the legacy lenses.

Can someone clarify this or point me to a link where this is tested and explained?

Also, aren't people worried about IBIS having negative affect on AF due to sensor shake?

What about tilted images? I used Oly E3 about 10 years ago and that camera definitely had issues with the sensor shifting IBIS, causing tilted images occasionally. Hopefully this is not the case we will discover later on. That experience told me NEVER to buy a camera with IBIS, but now, 10 years later maybe the technology is mature enough.

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow