Is the DSLR dead or dying?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
keepreal
keepreal Contributing Member • Posts: 697
Is the DSLR dead or dying?

Is the DSLR dead or dying or mirrorless just the new kid on the block?

So many people in their comments claim the former, but where is the evidence?

There are many people like me, perhaps a large minority now who prefer the DSLR and the clean uncluttered view of an OVF, who have the skills and experience not to need an electronic approximation of what the end result might look like, just a view of the scene in natural tones and dynamic range, to know what settings to use and what to expect with their results.

It is perfectly OK for those who cannot do this or do not want to do this to favour the EVF alternative and therefore inevitably mirrorless, but is it really superior? I really do not think so and I know I am far from alone in my view.

I imagine the DSLR embraces more favour with professionals, especially the news sector and action photographers, However, I am inclined to think the same is also true also to some degree with a fair proportion of keen amateurs.

Let's hear what you think about this but would it be possible to give your opinions without the fashion this last decade or so of going totally over the top with almost everything?

keepreal's gear list:keepreal's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow