If it doesn't add to your photo, then it takes away from it

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Plush Photo Regular Member • Posts: 214
If it doesn't add to your photo, then it takes away from it

If it doesn't add to or enhance your photo, then it takes away from it.  Someone told me this principle and I believe it.  Say you take a picture of a puppy, and there are an old pair of shoes in the background.  If those shoes don't enhance the interest of that photo, then they are taking away from its quality and aesthetic.

Now, having said all that, that doesn't make choosing backgrounds or making arrangements any easier necessarily.  You really have to have an eye for what enhances your photo and what won't.  You also need to think about this when cropping your photos.

So how do you develop a better artistic eye for your photographs?  (because photography IS an ART form)  Besides practicing and getting critiques, I would say that you need to view other artists work, and find artists that influence you and see what worked for them.

These artists don't have to be other photographers exclusively, they could be painters as well (as many of the same principles photographers use are used by painters).  So that's where I am now.  I am trying to find artists that influence me for the type of work I am trying to produce.

So this is one principle that I find to be true.  What other principles are there that you believe make a photo shine?

Plush Photo's gear list:Plush Photo's gear list
Panasonic G85
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow