Always check your lenses with a flash light at all angles..

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GSXR_750
GSXR_750 New Member • Posts: 14
Always check your lenses with a flash light at all angles..

Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS Nikon Mount. Gonna keep this as short as possible.

A few years back...

1. Bought lens new for D5100.

2. Months later, bought D750 and the lens needed firmware update to work properly.

3. Randomly shined flash light across the front element from the side. Saw a smudge/smear on the inside element.
4. Contacted Sigma and sent in lens to have firmware update and inside element cleaned.
Stupid me completely forgot about it until a few days ago when I decided it was time to send the lens in for a cleaning. Checked it with the flash light and it looked like Sigma tech cleaned the element with a sand paper. Refer to photo. Nice scratch across.
While this didn't affect picture quality, but it will affect resell value. Been too long, so gonna see what sigma will charge me to replace that element.
Lesson:
Use a flash light to fully inspect all lenses new/used from all angles before saying, "it's good.".

GSXR_750's gear list:GSXR_750's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow