5DmIV + 70-200 IS L

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Neoptix
Neoptix New Member • Posts: 11
5DmIV + 70-200 IS L

For a decade I have been shooting local HS football with a 40D (yes, long in tooth!) + 70-200 IS L USM lens; full manual, usually at ISO 400-800, with an aperture of between 3.5-4.0, full manual, WITH flash (580EX II, setting the flash output manually on the flash to where I am anticipating the play to go). This has worked well for me over the years.

But now I am looking to make the move to a newer camera. I have just about settled on the 5DmIV (though my pocket is still fussing!).

I anticipate remaining with the 70-200 and I expect that I am going to lose some of the reach that I have been accustom to, and I am wondering what thoughts any of you might have concerning the use of an extender in conjunction with this lens and camera. Or would I be just as well served by using the additional pixels and cropping in more to achieve the same reach?

I prefer to take more personal shots along the sidelines, rather than big bursts of piles of bodies at mid-field, thus I aim (pun intended) to go for well exposed close-ups of receptions, tackles, etc. where the action is frozen by the flash.

Thanks for your thoughts!

** Edited lens name.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow