XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR is sharp on 400mm F5.6

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
Bhotoz Contributing Member • Posts: 774
Re: Try first if you can

Jerry-astro wrote:

Bhotoz wrote:

I'm following this thread with big interest, because I'm (still) thinking if I should upgrade my 7d2 + lenses (70-200 2.8, 400 5.6L, 100-400, 150-600) to X-T3, 50-140, 100-400 and 1.4x for sports and birds. But I'm hesitating... Part of me says "save your money and buy 5d4 to get better iq and af in low light"... Part of me says "don't buy anymore dslrs because mirrorless are the future"... (I have also 5d3, I use it for shooting people and low light sports. I trust its af more, but I prefer to use 7d2 for birds because of reach.) And last part of me says "wait and see what will happen in the camera market in 2019"... ??? 🤯

IMHO, the best way to find out is to spend a few dollars -- or whatever your favorite currency is -- and rent an X-T2, X-T3, or X-H1 (depending on which is closest to your needs and budget). You can do all the reading you want here and likely gather a ton of good information, but a lot of what it takes to make a decision like this comes down to how well you bond with the camera, it's UI, and the IQ you can get from JPGs, RAW, or whatever method you prefer.

So, I'll give you the same advice I've given many others here (and the path I followed when ditching all my Canon gear a few years back). Rent a camera and lens and take it for a thorough shakeout after studying up on the camera's UI so you can make the best out of the time you have. Yes, that will cost a bit, but it could either save you a ton of money on something you ultimately might not like or it could give you some real peace of mind in making an important (and expensive) decision to switch.

FWIW, I made that exact switch (except it was a 7D, not the 7D2) a few years ago. My interests are similar and the 100-400 plus TC was one my first lens purchases once it became available (IMHO a decent step up from Canon's version, or at least the one I had). No regrets and there's no way I would even remotely consider going back into the DSLR fold. Not everyone has the same reaction, but I think you'll find a ton of DSLR converts here who have no regrets about the move. The very few that do either shoot dual systems or sell their Fuji gear and "return to the fold."

Yes I really would like to rent, but unfortunately that's not possible, because no one rents here. 😭

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow