Coolpix P1000 for astronomy ... beware !

Started Nov 4, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sylvain Weiller
Sylvain Weiller Regular Member • Posts: 335
Coolpix P1000 for astronomy ... beware !

Yesterday night I started shooting Orion M42 again as the wind was very light.

I expected to get many good RAWs.

Good point : I used for the first time the Nikon remote just delivered ... this enables me to avoid going to the mount to start a new picture (1 min Time exposure). I can be inside surfing on Internet and just looking at the clock ! As soon as 2 min have gone, I just click on the remote ! It is as simple as that !

But beware ! The Coolpix P1000 is like a telescope and it was near 4 AM (!) when I realized whetransfering the files to my PC, that almost all the pictures, except the first ones, were out of focus and only good for the trash can

As a long time astronomer, often using refractors, I understood right-away what had happened ... At the beginning of the session, at around midnight, I took the P1000 from its bag in my room, I installed it and started focusing and taking pictures. But the external temperature was rather cold and the P1000 cooled in a matter of a few minutes and its tube got shorter and shorter !!!

I hope reading this, the same thing will not happen to you !

Tonight the P1000 is outside for now a long while and the focus keeps perfect !

Starting session T0

T 0 + 10 min

T 0 + 28 min Defocus is maximum and thereafter stay like this (P1000 is now cooled !)

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow