The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
OP FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,194
Re: The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

AbeakerZ wrote:

FrankG wrote:

AbeakerZ wrote:

Looks great. I've been out with mine twice now. I haven't done any tuning yet, wanted to see how it would do out of the box. I also picked up the 1401 TC to go with it. So far it's one heck of a lens but the main things to shoot lately have been egrets so not a lot of feather detail to examine yet.

Did you use a focus test chart to do the tuning or just shoot stuff and make adjustments from there?

I used a simple focus test chart for the close range adjustments (ie. 3.5, 5 and 8 metres). For the "infinity" adjust I used a variety of distant targets (including the moon!). The infinity adjust is the one that's difficult to get right because, apart from anything else, it is dependant on air quality over which we have no control! Air "lensing" can give false results and so it may be necessary to do multiple checks on different days.

Thanks Frank, it was the infinity focal distance I was wondering how I was going to do. My yard is not that big. Did you run through the tests again with the TC's mounted?

Yes - you have to do the calibrations from scratch separately for each TC combo.

Also with the focus speed set to fast on your custom slots have you lost any accuracy?

None at all that I have ever detected.

That's good to know, the manual makes a note of this possibility. I'll set up a custom setting to try it out.

Do you get any chattering in that mode?

No not at all.

There is a technical mention in the lens manual (page 16 in the English section) that there is a circumstance that could cause the lens to make a "chattering" noise: "if the power is turned off or lens is detached while the Optical Stabilizer function is in operation" - but this is described as "not a malfunction".

The manual also says that the lens should never be removed from the camera while the OS is operating, also that the camera battery should never be removed while the OS is operating (page 15 of the English section).

So AFAIK the potential for this "chattering" sound (which normally does not occur at all) isn't anything to do with use of fast focus mode.

The chattering I was asking about is when the lens sometimes has trouble finding focus. Sometimes my 70-200 will do that, also my old 4/3rds mount Bigma would do that. I was wondering if the fast focus mode would increase that.

I have never experienced any sign of that with this lens.

good luck!

Frank

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow