Picture Profiles on A7R3 ?

Started Nov 3, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chester McCheeserton Forum Member • Posts: 96
Picture Profiles on A7R3 ?

I shot some footage at dusk using PP5.  It is dark footage but there is plenty of shadow detail when I play it back in camera, both looking through the evf or on the back LCD screen.

My cause for concern is when I play it back on my computer, the footage looks about 3 stops darker, all the detail in the blacks is gone.  It's this way in both quicktime and premiere.

I just did a test with the camera and can see that if I switch from Picture Profile 5 to Picture Profile Off, without changing any other settings, that the exposure and shadow detail drops off the same amount so I'm fairly certain that this has something to do with using this profile.

Two questions.

1. Is the detail that I can see in the camera playback in fact there in my footage, in other words can I tweak it in premiere (or something else) and view/use it how I shot it?

2. If I go back to shoot more at dusk, (it's out on a commercial fishing boat using a zhiyun crane) it is a bad idea for me to film more footage using this PP5 profile?  I'm aware that one of the S-Logs would give me the best quality but I don't have time during this 2 week period to learn the ins and outs of overexposing and using ND filters.  I choose PP5 because I read that it was a lower contrast profile that would allow for some grading later, but that was much easier to work with for beginners (I am photo professional, video amateur/beginner).

Thank you very much in advance for any advice

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow