The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,573
Re: With TC-2001 teleconverter - sample images

FrankG wrote:

However although on paper the weight of 3.3.Kg looks maybe a bit much …. in reality it doesn't feel too heavy because the weight distribution is well balanced. It doesn't feel at all "front heavy" - unlike many other large 400, 500 or 600 primes. I was never able to hand-hold my old 500mm F4 AFS (non VR) Nikkor. That weighed 3.8 Kg and was very front-heavy so creating significant leverage - very tiring on the left arm. With this Sigma the weight is about evenly distributed across both arms when shooting pics hand-held. I even find it is very hand-holdable with the 1.4 converter attached.

Interesting, I have the same experience. The weight itself is not the only factor that makes you tired. The weight distribution and leverage are more important.

My 100-400 is 1.5 times heavier than my 70-300 but feels twice as heavy, due to size and weight distribution.

Another factor is how easy the lens can be carried. A long and strong prime is easy to hold along your body, making it feel less heavy than a shorter thick lens that is moving around.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow