Color management issues with Capture NX D

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jaba Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Color management issues with Capture NX D

Dear all

After some time too busy for photography I have resumed printing with my Epson 3880. In the meantime, Capture NX2 and ViewNX have given way to NX D and ViewNX-i on my old Mac Mini, I have bought a Nikon Z7, and I do not manage to find the way of printing reasonably coherent prints of my pictures. I have recalibrated my Cinema display with ColorMunki Photo but that was not really the source of my problems. I will recalibrate the 3880 once I have understood the options of NX D, not before.

My problems (confusion?) originate from the choices available on Capture NX D and the Epson printer server:

1. There is one on the Preferences called "Use this profile when printing", where you select icc profile and rendering intent.
  2. A choice in the Print pop up called "Specify color profile", where you select the same but just before printing.
  3. Then there is, in the Epson Driver details section, the Color Matching with the ColorSync or Epson controls choice, where you select an Icc profile in the first case, and nothing on the second.
  4. Again in the Epson Driver details section, Print Settings/Basic, the Color setting, which gives you a choice between off and sRGB or Adobe profiles, which from what I know are not ICC profiles but color spaces.

My questions are:

1. What is the difference between the selection on 1. and 2.? Is the former the default for the latter only? Are they mutually exclusive then and will not be applied on top of each other?
  2. Do I understand it correctly when I think that choosing ColorSync and one selection from 1. and 2. means that the profile is applied twice and hence the reddishness of the pictures?
  3. What is the effect of the selection in 4.? Should I select the color space I set on my Z7?
  4. When selecting Epson controls on 3., what profile is selected? The ones in 1./2.?
  5. Why are my prints so much darker than my screen? At times it looks like that the background of the photo (my daughter before a red wall) is better on the pictures where I think I have two profiles applied and the skins are really off. When the skins look better (but dark), the background is much darker on the print.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jaime

jaba's gear list:jaba's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +16 more
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow