The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: With TC-2001 teleconverter - sample images

FrankG wrote:

Doug Greenberg wrote:

If I really were willing to take something of a financial hit for the sake of improved usability I would sell my 600mm G and a bunch of other gear and buy a 600 E, which is considerably lighter than the G. But the price of the newer 600 is mind-boggling.

Certainly is!

I have taken the 600G to Costa Rica and Ecuador for photo trips. Getting it there and back is not so bad, as I use a Think Tank International (older model) rolling bag. Some airlines, such as American, still do not limit carry-on weight, so bring the Think Tank as a carry on works fine. Like I said, when I am doing photography around the lodges or one of those feeder garden sites that are increasingly popping up in places like Ecuador, the 600 is terrific. With a 1.4x it is tack sharp. But when I had to walk over a mile up a slippery hill in the dewy predawn in Ecuador to a cock o’ the rock lek, it was a challenge. My guide volunteered to carry the lens, but one doesn’t always have a guide available.

Was that at Maquipucuna by any chance? Did that quite a few years ago (back when I was still using film) - slightly scary walk up and down slippery narrow forest trails in pitch dark pre-dawn - I remember it well! The insects were also amazing! I was merely carrying a 500 F4 P lens with a F100 and that was easily heavy enough.

This was near Mindo. The scariest part was walking a log “bridge” across a stream. In the dark, I was really glad I had brought along a headlamp.

Doug Greenberg

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow