Backup "budget" body for my 5D Mark IV. M50 (with extras) or 6D Mark II?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
raulgullon
raulgullon New Member • Posts: 12
Backup "budget" body for my 5D Mark IV. M50 (with extras) or 6D Mark II?

I know, I know... both cameras are quite different, starting from their sensor size (APS-C vs. Full Frame) and thus, image quality. But I' m having serious doubts about which one to get. Let me share my thoughts with you. I currently do professional photography at racing events, weddings, and eSports events. My current setup is:

• Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (with several LP-E6(N) batteries and CF/SD memory cards).
  • Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye.
  • Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Macro.
  • Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art.
  • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.
  • Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM.
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM + Canon 1.4x Extender II.

The second body is mainly to cover me in case something happens with my 5D Mark IV or use it alongside it with the 50mm f/1.8 STM... but I'm not used to working with two bodies. What I do is changing lenses very quick (never missed a moment so far). Also, when I'm on holidays, I'd like to bring my camera with me and to be completely honest, the 5D Mark IV is too big even pairing it with the 50mm f/1.8 STM. Finally, I need the camera to be as cheap as possible, as if I had the budget, I'd go for an EOS R or another 5D Mark IV. This is where the M50 enters the game. It's small, cheap for what it's capable of (similar results as the 80D) and the quality with the 22mm f/2 or the 32mm f/1.4 is quite good (those are the extras I mention on the title).

Anyway, here are my main reasons I have to buy the 6D Mark II over the M50:

• 26MP FF Sensor. No crop factor.
  • Better ISO and noise management.
  • Current lenses need no adapter.
  • Weather sealed.
  • Batteries are the same LP-E6(N) as the ones I currently own. They last longer.
  • More buttons making shooting more comfortable.
  • Bigger, better grip.

Cons are basically no 4K video, no C-RAW, no way of transferring the images directly to my phone as "second memory card", big and heavy compared to the M50 (the pros of the M50, basically).

And here are my reasons to get the M50 (with the 22mm f/2 and the 32mm f/1.4). Basically the cons of the 6D Mark II:

• Cheaper.
  • 80D quality images.
  • C-RAW lets me shoot more 24MP images than the 6D Mark II per memory card with almost no quality loss).
  • 4K Video vs 1080p 60fps (future-proof?). I know, there's no DPAF in 4K, just contrast detection.
  • Way smaller compared to the 6D Mark II. Travel-friendly.
  • More focus points and more coverage.
  • 100% EVF lets me see the picture as it's going to be saved.
  • "Always-on" Dual Pixel AF.
  • Ability to transfer via Wifi the pictures I'm taking to my phone and use it as a "second memory card".
  • Future Viltrox (or Metabones) Speedbooster will allow me to use the M50 as a "full frame".

Cons of the M50 are basically the pros of the 6D Mark II (no FF sensor, worse ISO performance, current lenses need an adapter, not weather sealed, needs new batteries and they last a couple of hundred shots, fewer buttons and smaller for work).

The question is, what would you do? I can get the 6D Mark II (Body only) for 1200€ and the M50+22mm+32mm+5 batteries+64GB SD Card+Adapter for roughly 1100€.

Thank you in advance for any help.

raulgullon's gear list:raulgullon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro +5 more
ANSWER:
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow