Few questions about printing large.

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmw4 Regular Member • Posts: 181
Few questions about printing large.

I know 300ppi is optimal compared to 200ppi. I also know that when printing large and viewing from proper distance this matters less because of what the eye can resolve from a certain distance.

But I wanted to test and see what quality difference there would be if I uprezed my 6000x4000 file (30”x20” at 200 ppi) file to 9000x6000 (30”x20” at 300 ppi) so I did just that.

I exported both files to my desktop from the raw file and compared. I used an output sharpening of Glossy - Standard on both.

I figured the files would be pretty similar since there isn’t actually more data but to my surprise the uprezed file was much sharper and had much more detail.

Is this because Lightroom is actually pretty good at upscaling photos? I know it’s probably not as good as on1. Or do you think it has to do with the output sharpening for different file sizes?

So im thinking I should always uprez to 6000x9000 from a 4000x6000 file if printing a 20x30 before sending to a photo lab. I mean, it would obviously be better to uprez before sending to a photo lab because you want to uprez before the file is compressed right?

Trying to wrap my head around all this. I plan to do a lot of large prints.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow