Tamron 35 1.8 Review (11 pics)

Started 3 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,167
Tamron 35 1.8 Review (11 pics)

When I moved to full frame, I wanted a 35mm lens that could replace my dx walkabout, the Sigma 17-70 os. I used the Sigma a great deal for shallow dof closeups. It is not a macro lens, but it handles closeups very nicely. The Sigma 35 was tempting, but I thought the Tamron would do better with these selective focus type shots. It can focus more closely and has a better max magnification ratio. After shooting with the Tamron for a while now, I can say that I have succeeded in buying a lens that can go from stopped down landscape to wide open closeups with ease. It is also quite a bit sharper than my old dx lens and the sharpness is much more even across the frame. Of course, I have lost the convenience of the zoom, but my intention moving to full frame was to shoot a great deal more with primes. I rate this 5 stars for quality and versatility. It has nice starbursts and holds up pretty well with the sun in or just outside the frame. It loses 1/2 a star for ca distortion and onion ring bokeh. I like the bokeh in terms of the overall smoothness, but it does not handle specular highlights as nicely as I would like. Here are a few examples:

This is very similar to the kind of shot I used to take with the 17-70:

These three show the movement from landscape to closeup. In the first, the dog is blurred due to the slow shutter speed. You can make out the dog's owner under the branches.

Now just a shot of one of the roses almost wide open:

Here's one with the sun in the frame. There is flare but it is not colorful or even all that noticeable.

Here is a starburst, small but distinct. There are numerous smaller ones along the trunk of the tree.

The af seems to work pretty well. Here I focused on the 27. First, the original frame and then a crop.

A view from a bridge across the Arkansas River. I spotted a spider under a near rail so moved to a closeup.

The last pic. Trying for a wider dof.  The slow shutter speed may give you an indication of the quality of the stabilization.  I have not tested the vc formally.

I hope these pictures give a helpful look at the performance of this lens across several criteria. I am happy with my choice and feel I have done a good job of finding a prime lens to replace my dx zoom. Thanks for looking.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD
Prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha
Announced: Sep 2, 2015
Brev00's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow