The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: With TC-2001 teleconverter - sample images

If I really were willing to take something of a financial hit for the sake of improved usability I would sell my 600mm G and a bunch of other gear and buy a 600 E, which is considerably lighter than the G. But the price of the newer 600 is mind-boggling.

I have taken the 600G to Costa Rica and Ecuador for photo trips. Getting it there and back is not so bad, as I use a Think Tank International (older model) rolling bag. Some airlines, such as American, still do not limit carry-on weight, so bring the Think Tank as a carry on works fine. Like I said, when I am doing photography around the lodges or one of those feeder garden sites that are increasingly popping up in places like Ecuador, the 600 is terrific. With a 1.4x it is tack sharp. But when I had to walk over a mile up a slippery hill in the dewy predawn in Ecuador to a cock o’ the rock lek, it was a challenge. My guide volunteered to carry the lens, but one doesn’t always have a guide available.

As a lightweight backup system I had some excellent success using the 300 PF along with the 1.4x teleconverter. Very sharp even wide open, and very easy to handle. And the 300 by itself was ideal for the hummingbird multi-flash setups.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, CA

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow