Nothing beats Live Composite for Lightning

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Muzfox Regular Member • Posts: 212
Nothing beats Live Composite for Lightning

I've been storm chasing for years, I've used a variety of gear, different lightning triggers, and still nothing comes close to the ease and results of using Live Composite to capture lightning.

For daytime shots I use generally a 6 stop ND filter to get the shutter speed low enough to activate Live Composite, and at night time, it just rocks to keep the scene well exposed and grab those brilliant flashes.

Last night a great electrical storm rolled across home near Ipswich, Qld, Australia, about 30 minutes south west of Brisbane. I always start at ISO 200, F4 and simply adjust the update time to get a good exposure, in this case 2 seconds was working well for me. I try to not go above 4 seconds for lightning as it takes too long between shots to get going again. I'll run for around a minute, until there is a bolt, or if a flash lights the clouds up, then I'll restart.

Olympus OMD Em5.2, 12-40mm pro at various zooms. Aperture was only adjusted if I deemed bolts getting close so I would stop down a touch to control brightness.

I find it really interesting with all these new mirrorless full frame cameras coming out, no-one is doing the cool tech things Olympus does, surely this feature is not that hard to implement and yet, only Oly has it.

Anyway, here is what I've processed so far, only have around 30 others to do yet lol

So with storm season here only starting, I'm looking forward to getting many more shots, and glad Olympus made this tech as the others just seem to be doing same old same old.

Murray
http://www.murrayfox.com.au/

Muzfox's gear list:Muzfox's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow