Epson P800 or P600

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlexBlct Junior Member • Posts: 49
Epson P800 or P600

Hi everyone,

I am looking into buying a first photo printer and I have narrowed my choices down the the P800 or P600. I am mostly looking to print on fine art papers using OEM inks only, but I obviously expect to sometimes print on glossy media and cheaper papers to produce some nice prints for family and friends.

Since I do not currently have a printer, it is a bit difficult for me to accurately estimate my printing volume but I currently estimate the following volume per year:

- 52 8X10 (about 1 per week)

- 100 5X7 (some of these may be 4X5 ratios as well) (a few per week)

- 15 12X16.8 (on 13X19 sheets) (for those shots that deserve it)

If I go for a P800, I estimate that I would probably swap a few (probably between 5 and 10) prints on 13X19 sheets for 16X20s (or bigger).

Such a low volume should probably push me towards the P600, but I must admit that I am a little underwhelmed by the maximum 13" size. Looking at ink consumption estimations found on the internets, I calculated that with this volume I would need about a year and a half to use all the ink that comes with the P600. Given that the price difference between the P600 and the P800 is roughly equivalent to a P600 set of inks, this means that a P800 would mostly pay for itself within about 1.5 years.

Hence, it seems to me that the P600 and the P800 really are about the same price within 1.5 years of use, and you get the added benefit of having 17" on the P800 (+ other small things). Yet, I am also a bit worried that the ink in the P800 would get wasted with such a low volume, but I am not sure if that really is an issue. So I would like to hear about some of your experiences about this.

Thanks!

AlexBlct's gear list:AlexBlct's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Coolpix P600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow