Metering modes? FZ2500

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Fishrman Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Re: Metering modes? FZ2500

LeanderOne wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

LeanderOne wrote:

Hi there,

Excuse me if I have misunderstood, but I don't think your metering mode is necessarily the main problem, rather it is your shutter speed. The speeds on the EXIF data of your photos are very low. They are 1/20th and 1/4 of a sec respectively - much too low to capture a moving subject - unless it is snail or maybe a glacier Pardon my little joke there, but think of it this way if you like, the shutter has to move faster than the subject it hopes to capture, otherwise the subject moves - and leaves a blurred image - before the shutter closes.

Photographers shooting moving subjects therefore prefer to control shutter speed, usually keeping it up around 1/200 sec or higher. Obviously the faster the moving object the faster you want your shutter speed to be in order to freeze it (if that is your goal) and avoid blur (if that is you goal). Snail = slower shutter speed can work / hummingbird = fast shutter speed required.

The P program mode that you are currently using does not know that you are shooting anything moving and so chooses a 'good balance' between f-stop and shutter speed They way to prioritise shutter speed is to put the camera in Shutter Priority mode - S on the dial.

It will also help if you use Auto ISO so the camera can raise it to in order keep the shutter speed high. You can limit how high it raises the ISO in the camera menu (ISO Limit Set), and so avoid the noisy images that result from high ISOs. The FZ2500 is pretty good up to about 1600 ISO though, and you can always post process some noise out (especially if you shoot in RAW). You can also use as low an F-stop as possible to keep the shutter speed up. The sweet spot, or best resolution setting, for FZ2500 seems to be about f5.6.

In photographic parlance the dynamic relationship between shutter speed, f-stop, and ISO, is called the Exposure Triangle. You might want to read about it a little if you haven't already, as it is such fundamental concept in photography.

So that's the essence of it. S Mode with a high enough shutter speed to capture the movement. What metering program you use depends on how small/large and dark/light the subject you are trying to photograph is, in comparison with the rest of the frame.

You can also use flash to freeze movement of course (if you are close enough to be within your flash's coverage range) and if the animal will not be bothered by it.

There are some excellent wildlife photographers on this forum, and I'm sure someone will come along to explain the matter much better than I can. The BIF (BIrds in Flight) guys know their stuff!

PS Nice to see some elk. Wish we had some of that big-wild-stuff round here (UK).

I thought my shutter speed was to slow but I assumed it was because of it metering wrong. I had an idea the shutter speed was to slow. I may have been able to do better with a tripod but didn't have it with me. These were on the dark side of the mountain as the sun was starting to go down.

Auto ISO, not finding where to set that. I currently have it set as ISO Limit Set 1600. Perhaps this already is set for AUTO ISO since I have the limit set? Sorry---just found the setting for AUTO ISO!!! I have changed that---perhaps that will make a big difference for me??

Thanks for all your help and pointing out the shutter speed to me. I guess I thought P mode was suppose to take into account the light conditions and set the speed accordingly. That is why I wondered if I had the metering mode right.

Good to know that what I said was helpful and that you found the AUTO ISO setting in the FZs lengthy men. Pardon me if I over-explained things a bit, I wasn't aware when I replied that you were already aware of the shutter speed issue.

It does sound like you had difficult, as in low, lighting conditions. As for a tripod helping - it will eliminate blur caused by camera shake at your end (assuming that you press the shutter carefully and/or use the self-timer) but of course it will not eliminate blur at the other end caused by a moving subject being snapped with an insufficiently fast shutter speed.

As for the exposure mode, I expect that most of us on here will use A Mode - Aperture Priority, most of the time, but will switch to S mode when shooting moving subjects. There is also the option of putting the camera into one of the scene modes. I see that there is one called Freeze Animal Motion, and another called Clear Sports Action. I would fully expect that one of those would prioritise shutter speed, but since I have never used them I can't say for sure. And keep posting the pics of the impressive wildlife you have over there.

Do you have any suggestions as to where the metering mode should be?? Your help is much appreciated. I am headed out tomorrow and hoping to get some good fall leaf pics and am thinking I may have some low light to put up with.

Fishrman's gear list:Fishrman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ2500 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow