60-600mm on One Body or Two Smaller Lenses on Two Bodies?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photography Matters Forum Member • Posts: 67
60-600mm on One Body or Two Smaller Lenses on Two Bodies?

Background

I had the opportunity to use the new Sigma 60-600mm adapted to a Sony body to shoot a "Zombie Run" Saturday. It wasn't  a pro job--the shoot was a favor to a friend--so I was comfortable using unproven equipment. In short, the Bigma failed.  I constantly lost focus, and the combo finally stopped working (removing and replacing the battery worked, but I didn't think of it at the time).   I was concerned that this could happened, so I resorted to my backup, a Nikon D500 with a Tamron 100-400mm lens. This combo worked flawlessly and got me through the rest of the meet. One of the things that struck me after the switch was how light and manageable the D500-Tamron combo felt after using the new Bigma.  However, the Bigma's ability to zoom from 60-600mm was amazingly empowering. I never felt like I didn't have the right lens on the body. This feature was a true advantage. At the end of the meet, when it was time to do a group shot of the zombies and organizers, I was embarrassed by how far back I had to stand in order to get everyone in the shot. With the D500, that 100mm becomes 150mm full frame focal-length equivalent--definitely not the choice for a group-shot of 40+ people.

My Question

If one has just one body, then the flexibility of the Bigma is a no-brainer.  However, if one has two (or more) bodies, would you prefer to shoot the Bigma alone, or carry two bodies with less-bulky lenses, say a DX body with a 200-500, and the other an FX (full-frame) with a 24-70 for closer shots?

Some might argue that the 200-500 is nearly as big as the Bigma, but there is close to a pound difference in weight, and I definitely could feel the difference. When I shot the Zombie Run two years ago, I employed two cameras, an APS-C Canon with the 24-70L and the D500 with the 200-500.  I found this combo quite comfortable (although I still had to take quite a few steps back for the group photo). However, I couldn't zoom in as quickly as with the Bigma, and I had to consciously decide which camera to use, but nothing felt too heavy.  And If you don't need 500mm or more, than a light-weight 100-400mm on one body paired with a 24-70 on another body is  even more manageable.

Therefore, what do you prefer?   The two-body combo or the Bigma (did I mention that the Bigma was quite sharp throughout its range?).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow