Second time out shooting with my new FZ1000

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Suzatlarge Regular Member • Posts: 102
Second time out shooting with my new FZ1000

Last week I got a new ("open box") FZ1000 from B&H. This camera was too much of a bang for the buck to pass up at the OB price of $507. However, I'm spoiled rotten by the amazing sensor on my Sony A7R2, and haven't been in love with the images from the 1" sensor of the RX100iii. So I was prepared to be disappointed with the images from the FZ1000. I handled it *very* carefully because it might be returned to B&H.

After my first outing, I decided this camera is a keeper! I processed the RAW files in Lightroom and exported them to Photoshop for finishing. I didn't find them wanting, although I'm sure the FZ1000's smaller sensor doesn't have the same dynamic range as the A7R2's sensor. OTOH the FZ1000 also doesn't create the honking huge RAW files that I get from the A7R2. Which isn't always a bad thing.

I shared here my first batch of images, which were quick shots I took when running errands around town. Yesterday I went to a local park and rose garden for a serious shooting session with this camera. It had been sunny but by the time I got there toward late afternoon, clouds had moved in. I was shooting with gray skies in mostly overcast light - only an occasional ray of sun peeked out. We've had a couple of cold snaps and a bit of snow to spice up our otherwise moderate fall weather. The roses have succumbed to the cold and snow but have not yet been deadheaded. I got some Halloween-season creepy images of withered roses and rosebuds. Then I walked over to the main park, which has a good-sized lake complete with ducks and geese. I kept the ISO to 800 or less and shot as best I could.

Here are some of the better shots, including some that were cropped. I was pleased to be able to use the radial filter in LR to bring up the detail in the duck's head. There was a lot of detail in there - and that was one aggressive crop to start with.

I bought this camera to take on a trip to Europe as a daily carry. I love the A7R2 + 35mm 2.8 lens and it will go along too, but I expect the FZ1000 will spend less time in the hotel room than the Sony. I have a few weeks to get used to handling it, and I'm not very far up the learning curve yet.

Withered roses

Summer has gone, and with it the roses

Twisted sisters - cropped and processed with Nik filters in Photoshop. Lots of detail there to work with!

Aggressively cropped, radial filter used in Lightroom to bring out detail around the duck's eye.

Nice long shot across the lake - boring gray sky, meh.

Standing under autumn's canopy - if only the sky were blue, not gray

Suzatlarge's gear list:Suzatlarge's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow