EFCS on SLTs - avoid with high shutter speeds?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,220
EFCS on SLTs - avoid with high shutter speeds?

I tend to always leave EFCS on as I figure it prolongs shutter life, reduces shutter shock and also leads to a quieter shutter sound. However I got bitten recently using a Fuji X-H1 with EFCS turned on - I shot some shots outdoors with high shutter speeds over 1/2000 and a fast lens wide open and experienced some weirdness with the way the blurred background was rendered, with 'bokeh balls' cut in half and some ghosting of elements.

Just wondered if this has also been noted when using EFCS on the SLTs ? I know the manuals have some obscure warning about EFCS with fast lenses and high shutter speeds, but I have tended to forget about it when using my a99 and a99ii and don't recall seeing any issues with the bokeh.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow