Another "what lens / camera" thread - skiing in Lofoten

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 1,455
Another "what lens / camera" thread - skiing in Lofoten

I will be skitouring in April in Lofoten. I've been there once before - the usual day involves two skitours of about 1.5-3h climb plus half an hour descent. The weather can be extremely changeable - although we won't tour in a blizzard, we may well get rained upon.

Back a few years ago I had a Nikon V1 and a Canon P&S. I got some decent shots with them, see below.

However I'll find it hard not to take my Sony A7R3 and try for some better photography, including some early morning and night stuff.

Space in the backpack and of course weight will be at a premium (though mainly for skitouring - I could bring a couple of extra lenses for general photography).

With that in mind... what on earth do I take with me?

- the light option: Sony A7R3 plus Voigtlander 15 /4.5 + Samyang 35 /2.8 (or Sony 28 /2) plus Zeiss Batis 85 /1.8. Drawbacks: lots of lens changes and the Voigt 15 won't be great for any nightshots or aurora (if we get lucky)

- the flexible option: Sony 16-35 2.8 GM and either a Tamron 28-75 or Sony 24-105 (I don't yet own either of the last two). Drawbacks: extra investment and very unlikely I'll carry both lenses uphill.

- the combination: the two above plus the Voigt 15 so I can have an uphill UWA

- the other combination: Panasonic Tz100 for the day, Sony +16-35 2.8 GM for any non-skiing photography

Here are some pics from the previous trip. I think I could do better now.

Action:

rare sunny descent

the rain had just turned to snow here

Landscape (from a down day when we travelled around):

I have no idea either

The drying cod army

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R III
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow