Rumor: RF 24 / 1.2L.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,911
Rumor: RF 24 / 1.2L.

That would do it for me, to be honest. Back in the day when I used the 5D, I used the 24 / 1.4L and 50 / 1.2L for about 80% of my photography. So, an R+ (that is, a camera that is to the R what the 6D2 is to the 6D) along with an RF 24 / 1.2L and RF 50 / 1.2L would be just what the doctor ordered.

Of course, we're talking *serious* money here -- that's about $6K for the body and those two lenses. Ouch! That's a lot of visits to Soapland, to keep things in perspective.

Anyway, I'm impressed with what I see with the RF 50 / 1.2L, and expect, if the rumor is true, to be as impressed with the 24 / 1.2L, if not more so. The question is what Sigma might produce for the RF mount and how it would compare in terms of IQ, size, weight, and price.

So, I think I'll putter around with my 6D2 for a long while before going mirrorless, unless, by Thanksgiving next year the R prices have dropped considerably. I know the 6D2 takes a bad rap, but, honestly, I like it a lot, although I'd surely be happy with more low ISO DR and a wider spread of AF points -- my only two complaints (since I don't do video). And they're not really complaints, to be honest -- just things I'd like to have.

I used the 5D for 7 years before upgrading, the 6D for 6 years, so maybe using the 6D2 for 5 years is reasonable to ask. But, if an RF 24 / 1.2L and RF 50 / 1.2L are out there for the better part of those 5 years saying "Buy me -- you know you want to -- c'mon, just do it!", well, it will be an uncomfortable wait.

P.S.:  Canon, I promise I won't be angry, not even a little, if you manage to put a *good* IBIS system in an R+.  You can still do your ILIS thing, of course -- I wouldn't want to make you choose one or the other. 

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow