Lens Buying Advice for XT3

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
awr0912 New Member • Posts: 3
Lens Buying Advice for XT3

Hello!

For my personal photography (e.g., non-work, travel, more fun/enthusiast) I shoot a Panasonic Lumix GM1 using the Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH. I love this camera mostly because it gives me a lot of creative flexibility in a size that makes me always want to have it with me. And, I love this lens (maybe more than the Panasonic 20mm prime which is never too far out of reach). I think it's a perfect lens for me. It's prime, shoots great on the street and in low light, is incredibly sharp, offers a shallow depth of field, and it's a little wide. Plus it looks/feels great to use.

I'm exploring upgrading to a more powerful camera, and the new Fuji XT3 is intriguing to me for a lot of reasons. Here's my issue. I'm having trouble finding a Fuji lens that can compare to what I love about that Leica 15mm 1.7 lens. It seems like once I get to something wide(ish), that can shoot in low light with a shallow depth of field, the size of the lenses become big, bulky. I've done some research, and I've narrowed my selection:

• Fujifilm XF 16mm f/1.4 R WR Lens (HUGE)
  • Fujifilm XF 23mm f/1.4 R Lens (HUGE)
  • Fujifilm XF 23mm f/2 R WR Lens (terrible sharpness when close to the subject)
  • Fujifilm XF 27mm f/2.8 Lens (is 2.8 really enough?)

Am I missing an option? The thing I love most about my GM-1 is portability, and I travel a lot, shooting mostly street, architecture, but I also like my moody close-ups of non-human subjects (like a late night cocktail—this is where that shallow depth of field comes in handy).

Anyway, I've probably said too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lens that can match my faithful Leica 15mm 1.7? Maybe it's time to move on from moody table settings and night shots? Maybe everything just seems huge compared to my GM-1 kit and I'll adapt? Looking for advice. In particular, advice from someone who might say, "Yes, such and such lens is perfect, I have it on my camera and never take it off. You're going to love it."

A couple of caveats. I'm getting more and more into video. Also, WR is not a deal breaker.

Thanks

ANSWER:
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow