Use of x2 magnifier on em-1 mk 2

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SAYE Junior Member • Posts: 41
Use of x2 magnifier on em-1 mk 2

I am an experienced hobbyist using the em-1 mk 2 with the pana 12 - 60 pro lens.   I shoot only jpegs, mainly for travel, and edited either in camera or with Picassa.   No commercial interest, with only occasional prints up to 6 x 8.   All images viewed and stored on my PC.   Sorry about the preamble, but now to my question:   I have read in fora, both here and elsewhere, that, when using the x2 magnifier on the em-1, the camera crops the centre image then re-samples it back to the original mps.    Thus effectively doubling the focal length of the lens without penalty to IQ.  Thinking this too good to be true, I have carried out a number of simple tests, from which I conclude that this is indeed so -  at least to the level at which I display my images.    In which case, why would one want to buy, in my case, a second lens to cover 60 - 120mm when I already have this option with the in-camera x2 magnifier?     Second related question is whether I shouid buy the 1.4x TC with the proposed Oly 40 - 150 f2.8 Pro lens when I could get the same reach (and more) with the x2 magnifier?      I must be missing something.  Could anyone please enlighten me?

Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow