Fuji instead of Sony?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
lélé Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Fuji instead of Sony?

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

I was very interested in switching to Sony but the XT-3 has me taking another look at Fuji.

I used to use Nikon for stills and Panasonic(for stills and video where size, discretion, and silent shutter is required).

Why I want Fuji over Sony:

The smaller lenses and cheaper prices across the board end up saving a lot of money when it comes to 2 bodies, 3-4 lenses and some accessories. i can get 2 xt-3 for $3k vs. $6k for a7riii or $8k for a9.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

fuji 50-140/2.8 for $1400) is lighter (2.19 lb / 995 g) vs. Sony 70-200/2.8(ignoring equivalence) at 3.26 lb / 1480 g at $2600

Same thing, you're comparing apples and oranges. I think it's an error to ignore equivalence.

A Sony FE 70-200 mm F4 G mounted on a Sony a7 III would offer:

• Same effective field of view,
  • Same subject separation ability,
  • Very similar low light performance,

As a Fujinon XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR mounted on a Fujifilm X-T3.

Ignoring that completely bias the comparison!

A Sony FE 70-200 mm F2.8 GM OSS is an option that - at least for the moment - has no equivalent in the Fujifilm system. You can get better low light performance (with shorter DoF) and more subject separation ability, with the trade off of a bigger, heavier and more expansive lens.

very compact 24-80/2.8 equivalent that is $1000 vs. sony which is over $2000.

Same thing...

won't have to pay $4000 for distortion free electronic shutter.

Fujifilm X-T3 readout time much shorter than the one of Sony a7 III or the Fujifilm X-T2 (which are completely unusable with moving subject or under flickering light sources).

That said, it's 1/57s for the X-T3 vs. 1/160s for the a9. The a9 still struggle with some particular subject and under some artificial light sources, even if it ES is very usable. it will be worse with the X-T3.

(I personally have an X-T3 and distorsion is okay for what I shoot, but I would avoid the ES under some artificial light sources).

while there is 1.25x crop at 30fps at 16megapixel that is not an issue for me. also heard some lenses are not compatible with electronic shutter on a9. this is not an issue with fuji.

No, that's not that simple, in both cases!

You can use any lens with ES with both.

The problem is that some lenses cannot keep up with the burst rate.

I don't have a a9 and a bunch of Sony lenses at my disposal to say with which it's okay or not (Sony has a list I think), but with the Fuji' I only get the 30 fps under very particular conditions. The lenses are the problem. You have to carrefully check which lens can keep up and do not expect to have 30 shots per second with AF-C!

Plus the X-T3 buffer is extremely shallow!

In return, the buffer clean up is less limiting than on the Sony (less thing you cannot access during clean up).

Why I want Sony over fuji:

higher sensitivity in extreme situations due to "full frame" sensor

You shall take the lens into account. You cannot dissociate low light performance from assembly.camera + lens

ability to mount many third-party lenses with adapter.

You also can on the Fuji (fringer brings some interesting adapters), but it's more limited and you have to take the crop factor into account.

higher megapixel full-frame bodies(a7riii)

Yes

eye-af

No, X-T3 has a fully working eye AF.

reportedly better tracking in low light

Depends a lot on the lens.

a9 is one sick puppy but very expensive.

Look at the second hand market.

I also think the price will fall down when the a7S III will be announced...but when?!

IBIS!

Yes.

For those who may have switched from Sony to Fuji: are there extreme situations where the fuji xt-3 fall apart and you wish you had sony. Heard low light tracking on Fuji xt-3 might be an issue.

Search for my impressions on both the a7 III and X-T3 (I have both).

Is Fuji good enough for most situations?

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow