Actually, it IS a game changer

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jeremygreen
jeremygreen New Member • Posts: 15
Actually, it IS a game changer

I did all the reading up on the Nikon Z7 and watched as many online videos as I could before sinking serious money into an untried new camera. Most of what I read and saw was from professional reviewers who had not actually had the real finished camera in their hands, and they seemed to come from a skeptical and critical point of view. Fine, but I bought it anyway to take along on a job in Philadelphia for a long time sculptor client. My main camera has been the D810 for a good while, and I planned on just trying out the Z7 on the side when I could during the 3 to 4 days and nights that I was working. The more I used it, the more I liked it. I especially liked the small size and feel of the Z7 + NTZ adapter when attached to my big fast lenses. The camera was more like an attachment to the lens rather than the other way around, so it changed the way I hold and shoot with it. The VR was great to have, and eventually I found myself hand holding shots at night with confidence that I never would have ever attempted before. So in many situations on this job I found that I could shoot just a few frames hand held and then move on to the next thing. Not using a tripod as much resulted in my shooting more angles faster and in a different way than before. The end result was that my client got more good usable photography in the same length of time, which makes me a better value to him. When the job was wrapped up, I had a day and a night to walk the streets of Philadelphia and shoot for myself with the Z7 + NTZ with my Nikkor 24-70 f:2.8 E. Before the night was done I was getting really nice shots that I wouldn't have attempted with the D810. The color is rich and the files are beautiful! Even the high ISO images are within my very particular range of acceptability. I'm an old school professional photographer, schooled at Brooks Institute and shooting professionally since 1980. I'm not one who changes easily, but the Z7 has me convinced that the transition from DSLR to mirrorless will be faster than some are predicting. The train seems to be leaving the station already. This camera is a fully professional piece of equipment, and I can tell you that for me there is no choice between using the Z7 or my D810. The DSLR is going to be parked in my camera case as the backup body. If I had the D850, which I don't because I haven't found it readily available, I still think I'd be choosing the smaller, lighter, all VR option of the Z7 with focus points everywhere in the frame. So it's a game changer for this photographer.

It is true that as a photographer of sculpture and as a portrait photographer, I don't find it pertinent to see follow-focus tests (including that one by DP Review) of people riding bicycles in a zigzag pattern towards the camera in low light. I've yet to be hired to do that in almost 40 years of all kinds of jobs, but others (wedding, video, wildlife, and sports photographers) may find those tests helpful. What is extremely helpful is being able to focus anywhere in the entire frame, and quickly, with that little joystick. I was never happy with the limitations of focus points of DSLR's. I like the XQD card for its reputed sturdiness. Although I would have preferred 2 card slots, I'm very impressed with this camera's engineering and design as is. My guess is that designers are "future-planning" that one card in camera will be sufficient because a second copy will be uploaded wirelessly to a hard drive or off site to the cloud...just a guess. On this 3 and a half day job I shot just under 3,500 frames in 14 bit lossless compressed format using two 128GB XQD cards, downloading, backing up, and reformatting each night. Two EN-EL 15b batteries covered each 12 hour day's shoot just fine in cold blustery weather in the 50's. Everything worked great for me in my real world professional situation, so I doubt that I will be buying the D850 afterall. When the top of the line S lenses for the Z system are available, I may convert my glass, but probably not before then.

jeremygreen's gear list:jeremygreen's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +10 more
Nikon Z7
46 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Aug 23, 2018
jeremygreen's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow