D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

Started Oct 21, 2018 | Questions thread
Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

baloo_buc wrote:

The 18-55 mm you have has VR in its name? If yes you could look at something more telephoto (like AF-S 55-200 mm VR). If you have the non-VR version I would keep it only for close-up (not macro) in good light.

18-55 kit lens is worth hanging on to imho. And while they aren't macro they can focus pretty close (eg for things like flowers).

The AF-S 55-200 VR (1 or 2 would be fine).

There is an almost never ending supply of options for GAS - gear acquisition syndrome ...

Another option if extra reach is something you want might be the 55-300 VR lens - it is kind of superseded by the 70-300 AF-P DX lenses now but it is an OK lens and was a lot cheaper than the 70-300 AF-S FX lens. The 55-300 has a metal mount which distinguishes it a bit from the 55-200s.

18-200 mm VR is an expensive lens with a lot of compromises in order to get that range. Are you sure 200 mm is mandatory.

I started with D60 (v similar to D40x) and 18-200. If i had my time again I would skip the 18-200 (though I shot with it a lot).

You can chose between AF-S 18-105 mm VR and AF-S 18-140 mm VR which are better than 18-200 mm lens and also cheaper. If you want to be future safe better get 18-140 mm VR which performs brilliantly on 24 MP sensors.

I would also suggest these as good general purpose lenses.

18-105 is what I came to the thread to suggest. I have one and it is nicely matched for weight (imo) with the D40/x/60 body. A bit lighter and smaller than the 18-140. I use it on the D7200 and D3300 I have now (but I'm not a pixel peeper).

Another older lens I used for quite a while on the D60 was Nikon 18-135 AF-S. It was a kit lens for the D80 and doesn't have VR, But it is pretty sharp and a bit lighter and smaller (diameter) than the 18-105, Good in good light, but I missed VR in low light situations, especially at the 135mm end.

Think about used lenses.

I have had a lot of success in buying lenses second hand, either on ebay or Gumtree (not sure if there is an equivalent where you are - an online market place geared for local exchanges). I have picked up a couple of bargains that way. [someone on this forum, years ago, referred to e-bay as a lens lending library. You can always resell if you aren't taken by  a lens, generally for little or no overall loss]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow