An $80 solution to your need for a 200mm lens

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
W3PYF
W3PYF Regular Member • Posts: 490
An $80 solution to your need for a 200mm lens

I see a continuing range of questions here, people wondering which of several $1000-$2000 lenses they should buy.

I’d like to propose something may have slipped off the forum since the availability of so many FE lenses: There are a lot of quality old lenses from the film era that can be adapted for use on the latest A7 series cameras.

Example: a Canon FDn 200mm f4 lens I purchased for $64 on eBay.

Now, I tend to shoot it on a TechArt Pro autofocus adapter. But the reality is, on an A7 series with IBIS, a $15 dumb adapter works just as well.

Now, is it better than a $2000 GM lens? Unlikely. Is it good enough for you? Let the images answer that.

All of the zoo images were shot through plexiglas at the Stone Zoo in MA:

Now, some from a recent trip to Croatia:

And two from St Mark’s Square in Venice:

Is the $64 solution good enough for you? Perhaps, perhaps not. But I traveled for almost a month in Italy and Croatia, and rarely found an occasion to want a 200mm lens. Spending $2000 or more for a GM would not have increased the likelihood I’d feel the need for a 200mm lens.

PS: ignore the EXIF indication of lens focal length. The TechArt Pro doesn’t really need the EXIF programming to work well at all focal lengths, and it has a bug that reports all lenses as a Sony DT lens. I assigned C3 on my A7III to pick the IBIS setting I want, and that’s all. I shot only a 15mm Voigtlander and the Canon 200mm on the TechArt - and I can tell the which images were shot with which lenses without the EXIF!

W3PYF's gear list:W3PYF's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +13 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow