Lewis and Harris on film, just to be different... ;-)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Just Tim 4
Just Tim 4 Regular Member • Posts: 397
Lewis and Harris on film, just to be different... ;-)

A couple from a recent blog, just showing something different. I shot 12 5'x4" plates with my Linhof while I was over there, all on FP4, 6 separate scenes, two plates exposed for each. I will be showing the whole set of 6 on the blog rather than culling the best, not because they're all good, (or any are ), but really how because I use a different approach I always end up with a different photo on film. Nothing to do with the relative technical merits of each format, but to try and highlight the differences in subject and treatment. Something I often think is lost in the endless discussions and proofs of how all cameras can take *the same* image. Something I've always felt was a pointless exercise, sure you can do it, but why would you want to?

Harbour and Creels, Abandoned, South Harris

"I passed this spot on both the first and last days I was on the islands. On the first day I was looking for pretty shots, on the last I had a greater understanding of the islands and the experience of the first storm of the season. The Hebrides is littered with abandoned, disused. Not in a lament to the loss of tradition and a way of life, but willingly and quickly abandoned in the search for a little comfort and respite. With the land clearances the islanders were forced off the fertile machair of the west coast and onto the rocky and infertile land of the east by landowners who saw more profit in the mass grazing of sheep than the rental of small crofts. They took up fishing to make a living, a living that was all but destroyed by the 1970’s by domestic and foreign trawlers over-fishing the Minch which took all the fish and scoured the seabed. The harbour is much as it was in the late 1800’s. The creels recently abandoned now only ensnaring the grass that grows so readily through them and shows in it a memory of the recent storm. I find far more truth in it than a thousand neatly stacked creels on a concrete quay."

Fishermen’s Bothy 2, Lewis

"Many are enchanted by the islands in their summer glory, many wish to live in such idyll. A few even move there is search of it, fewer still survive their first winter. But the truth was always visible, the beautiful beaches were not formed from endless days of balmy sunshine but by the frequent pounding of winter storms. The way the islands change and transform in the light is not driven by consistency in the weather, the countless lochans and peaty heather moors are not the result of the occasional rainy day. Perhaps our photography also fails to see it."

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow