D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

Started Oct 21, 2018 | Questions thread
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,832
Re: D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

Ed Br wrote:

The camera came complete with a Nikon DX 18-55mm lens. I have taken a few shots and this does a great job. David mentions a better choice would be the Nikon 18-200mm lens. I live in the UK and have tried to find one and am completely confused by the range of lenses available. I don't want to make a purchase until I know I have selected the right one that will give me a good balance between macro and distant focussing. I understand the D40x doesn't have an onboard auto focus so I am assuming the lens will have to provide this itself ?

A Nikon "AF" or "AF (D)" lens requires a camera body to have a focus motor in order to autofocus.

The new "AF-P" lenses are not suitable for older cameras, such as the D40x.

All Nikon lenses with "AF-S" (or the older "AF-I") in the designation have their own focus motors and will autofocus on any Nikon DSLR.

If you see any 3rd party lenses that interest you, you should check with manufacturer as to their suitability with your D40x.

The Nikon 18-200mm that you mention (either the original or the "II" version) would be a fine as a versatile, general purpose lens, but has no macro capability. It will, however focus as close as 0.5m (1.6 ft.) from the subject.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow