Leveling Base VS Ballhead

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheBrilliantShadow New Member • Posts: 7
Leveling Base VS Ballhead

Hi, I am looking for advice on an idea that somehow seems to make sense, but want to ask if others have experience with something like that.

I am about to get myself a new tripod (TVC-34L) and am wondering what to add on top of it for leveling. I have a Fluid Video Head which I will use as my main. Ever since watching Henry Hudson's Youtube video on Video Heads, I am sold for them and I am pretty happy with the one I got (though I am not through with the process yet - I will make a second Thread for that).

Now I always thought that a Leveling Base is the perfect company for such a head. Although I am sure not to regret getting a Leveling Base, I found the Ballhead BH-55 to not be *that much* more expensive. Well, yes it is, but on the other hand it's a pretty nice and solid alternative to my big Video Head (Manfrotto N8) too.

Most people I know favour the use of a Ballhead and I somehow get the feeling to miss out on such a well used tool by getting a Leveling Base. And since top-mounted Level-Bases are a common thing too, I think a good Ballhead does the same thing but even better! Also it ensures me the zero-ground clearance so I can set my tripod looow. Of course I know about the weight and the lifted center of mass, which leads to less stability. But the Idea of having a second head as alternative (if needed) pleases me opposed to being stuck with one fixed thing. Using Arca-Swiss clamps, it's no issue combining them at will.

Unfortunately I never had a Ballhead before and thus am not sure in which way I would benefit, especialy with my new Video-Head, which does pretty much everything I want. Having my camera level at all times, smooth continuous  movement, balance, counterbalance, nodal point, etc fixes every (theoretical?) issue I see with Ballheads. It seems perfect to me.

Is someone using a Ballhead to level a second head? Why would someone do so vs a propper Leveling Base? I'd like to get some brainstorming on that matter to help me make a decision.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow