Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
TQGroup
TQGroup Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Re: Fuji instead of Sony?

Zefah wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

Zefah wrote:

Are you a troll?

Why are you in a thread about Sony and Fuji mirrorless cameras talking about how you love your D850 and think the D5, which you don't own, is better than the A9, which you haven't used?

I have enjoyed a meaningful and respectful discussion on this thread for two days. As I have posted, I am looking to complement my D850 DSLR, which I do love, with a MILC. So a "Fuji Vs Sony" discussion is useful to me.

Where have I said I think that the D5 is better than the A9?

Fair enough. Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else about the D5.

I don't know what you mean with "complement" your DSLR. There's not much the D850 cannot do well. It totally depends on what you're looking for in terms of "complement." Is it a crop sensor? Video capabilities? I have no idea, but if you're already invested in Nikon and have no intention of switching, seems like you would be better suited just waiting until the second generation of Nikon Z-mount mirrorless bodies to come out. Surely they will have worked out the kinks and have something competitive by then.

Thanks for the very constructive comments

My D850 will stay - divorce is too expensive

I want to replace my D500 with a MILC that can be adapted to use some Nikon/Zeiss glass. I will initially buy a 24-70/4 or so (lightweight) and more later.

I envisage the MILC will be used primarily for video, street, night-market and travel photography. I recently had a month in Asia and a decent MILC would have been very handy in addition to the D850. The D500 was practically obsolete on that trip.

Features that would be nice include, (not in order: IBIS), fast-to-shoot (low lag}, accurate AF-S and AF-C, 4K video (no crop or pixel binning), good low light performance, good video AF, comfortable feel in the hand, good control placement for speed of use, great EVF (I like OVF), good SOOC JPGs (many images will not have any PP), good flash (external) capability, external battery charger (leave 1 battery in hotel), around 24 MPX is enough, good weather sealing (sudden downpours)... that's most of them.

I am not interested in the Nikon Z7, for me it is too much like the D850 I already have.

I am actively considering a Sony A7iii (which I have tried) a Fuji XT-3 and the Nikon D6 (due end November). The comparison is not against the D850. It is between MILC options available for purchase by December 2018.

I visited this forum and thread because I was interested in learning from real user's experiences (not spec sheet data, please) about how they feel about Sony and Fuji and specifically about the A7iii and the new XT-3.

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments.

Cheers, Andrew

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow