I'm pleasantly surprised by the 15-45mm kit lens!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
I'm pleasantly surprised by the 15-45mm kit lens!

After much deliberation, I've finally purchased an M50, and after what I'd read about the 15-45mm kit lens, I wasn't expecting much. In fact I had heard so many complaints about the softness of this lens I had already planned on replacing it with the 11-22mm.

But as it turns out, I'm pleasantly surprised by the sharpness of this lens across the frame. I don't know if I just got lucky - or if I'm just not as picky as some - but I've experienced bad lenses before. Notably the Sony 16-50mm kit lens, and more recently the Panasonic FZ2500.

Below is a 100% crop comparison I've made, using a huge A0 size test chart I have. I had used this previously with the FZ2500 I purchased - before I decided it simply wasn't good enough - so I thought I'd compare the results with the M50 + 15-45mm.

All photos were shot wide-open, and the crop is from near the top-right corner. I am particularly impressed that I could get such sharpness here from the 15-45mm wide open at its widest angle:

LEFT: Canon M50 with 15-45mm  RIGHT: Panasonic FZ2500

Below is the full test chart with the M50 at 15mm f/3.5:

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Panasonic FZ2500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow