Fore!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 1,520
Fore!

All the golfers out there (and a fair few non-golfers I suspect) are familiar with terms such as birdies, eagles and albatrosses on the golf course. But how about... a Harrier?! Well, today I saw it in real life!

I have really been struggling to get out to take bird photographs recently. So when this weekend looked promising in terms of weather PLUS our social calendar was empty for a change, I decided to head out to an area known for raptors about 10km from our house as the crow flies. On the ocean side of the dyke there the scenery is very much like it is by the dyke at our house (salt water marsh). But on the landward side there is a golf course.

So I present to you: the golfing Harrier (and no surprises: it is a male.... )

But it did not just fly around over the golf course: I was incredibly fortunate that it circled around for several minutes just there where i was standing on the dyke! At some stages it got so close to me that it was larger than the frame at 600mm so I ended up clipping its wings (fortunately only figuratively, not literally!).

Some of the other shots I got:

And then it left...

All in all I probably got around 200 shots of it: many unusable but similarly a significant number that I am rather happy with. And just to note that some of the above shots were resized down to 4K from even greater resolution after cropping.

Another quite, quite remarkable experience for me, for which I will remain very, very grateful.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow