Fuji instead of Sony?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 1,876
Re: Fuji instead of Sony?
4

TQGroup wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

I spoke to a Fuji and Canon owner. He said the same thing about the lockup on xt-2 and other weird anomolies. He said that as much as mirrorless has advantages he still prefers DSLR because it just works when you need it to. no quirks or lockups and you can leave the camera on for hours/days. i miss the leica for street shooting as its is small, light, quiet, and doesn't need to bootup.

I have owned A7r, A7 II, A7r II, A7r III and A9, none of them ever locked up, not even single time. No quirks. A9 shoots faster than D5 and 1Dx II, A7r III faster than 5D IV and 5DsR and A7 III beats 6D II and D750. Not all ML are the same, just as not all DSLRs are the same ML is replacing DSLR. A9 shoots 20fps with no-blackout EVF that are both faster and better than D5 and 1Dx II burst and still-blackout OVF.

Pardon my ignorance but if your assertions are correct, why do I not see any Sony cameras being used by pros at sports events, news events, etc. Surely all these experienced pros must of heard about Sony by now...

There are some now but not many, simply because there are many Canon and Nikon already there over decades. Those sport/news PJs are offered camera gear by their employers not on their own choices. I'd agree Sport PJs will be the last group to migrate to ML. The same reason applied why lots more Canon over Nikon in sport fields despite Nikon 3D AF is obvious better than Canon's vulnerable AF system. All today's sport cameras are good enough, 1Dx II, D5 and A9 even 5D IV, D850 and A7 III are enough to do jobs especially now Sony just has 400 GM and 500 GM and 600 GM will be shipped before Tokyo 2020 Olympic game.

You aren't confusing maximum frame rates with "shooting speed" are you?

No. Not sure what is your definition of shooting speed? Burst rate is the key part of overall shooting speeds.

My metric is something like this: "time from image possibility to image captured correctly".

This takes into account the entire shooting process.

just curious what actual experience you have with shooting sports? given that you are a nobody out here, and both your gallery and challenge profiles are blank... and with that zero sports background, you claim to be qualified to tell us what pros shoot with? lol, I think not.

Otherwise, if only one element (although important) is considered; we may end up with a scenario like predicting a cars performance around a race circuit solely based on its acceleration, i.e. 0-100 time.

no, that's not how real sports af works.

the a9 can do up to 60 af/ae calcs a second, so it doesn't need to rely on prediction as much as dslrs do.

sony fe lenses are mostly all rated at 15-20fps on the a9, with constant af-c, which no ff dslr on the planet can match: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/en/index.html?id=spt

and the a9 delivers that 15-20fps frame rate, while the d5/1dxmk2 can't match their advertised frame rates.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow