A99 w/24-70mm f/2.8 ZA + two OC Flash w/Umbrellas (Simple Portrait)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 8,096
A99 w/24-70mm f/2.8 ZA + two OC Flash w/Umbrellas (Simple Portrait)

Well I moved from a large home 3 1/2 years ago to the condo I currently live in. Actually my condo is spacious but not like the home I moved from where my basement was 42' x 62' and that was all mine to play in. I had a full photo studio setup in my basement.

When I moved I packed up all my studio equipment (flash setup, stands, backdrops, etc.). Today 3 1/2 years after my move I decided to try a minimum setup for a portrait against a paper grey backdrop (did not get studio lights out and only used camera shoe type flash units w/umbrellas).

I used my backdrop stand, roll of grey backdrop, my A99 w/24-70mm f/2.8 ZA, (2) HVL-F60M and a HVL-F20AM on the camera. The flash units were set to wireless and controlled by the HVL-F20AM mounted on the camera. My main light with umbrella was next to the camera but a couple feet higher. My fill light was to the right side at 45° and at ceiling height. I also used a large reflector on the left side of the subject.

Oh yeah my wife does not like for me to take photos of her so I only got one test shot (grandma with five kids and ten grand kids). This was a fun exercise and I will do more of this when I find a willing subjects.

RAW, in PP I knocked a little shine off the tip of her noise and chin. I also slightly brightened the eyes and added vignette to the background.

I am open to suggestions for improvement as long as the setup is kept simple, Thanks.

At this point in my life I have become a lazy photographer. I don't struggle over image IQ or details but enjoy content and simplicity. A6000, A6300, A6500, A99, A900 w/Sony + Zeiss + Sony G Glass

Nikon Coolpix A900 Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow