Compact camera advice for fine art studio / travel

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
optimystery New Member • Posts: 12
Compact camera advice for fine art studio / travel

Apologies if this may have been answered already elsewhere, but my needs for a camera are fairly specific so hoping some knowledgeable forum persons can help..

I need to upgrade from a fairly old Canon S95. Its done its job and is still going strong, but slowing me down a bit with autofocus, IQ and resolution. And I've never been able to get really great printable photos from it really.

I own an Epson P800 (used for various fine art purposes) so it would be good to have a camera that can go up to A1 (width) cleanly.

Here's what I need:

Compact - I will be leaving for a long trip to India in a couple of weeks. Pocketable and light is good, and generally I like portable anyway.

Cheap - up to £250 from ebay, gumtree, or possibly new

Great IQ, at least 1" sensor and 20MP, but considering the APS-C models too

1080p video is fine. I have a Zoom H5 that I can sync if I need to.

I've looked at so far:

Canon EOS M100

Canon G9X Mark1

Sony RX100 Mark2 (nearly bought one off gumtree for £200 but the seller wasnt honest about its condition)

Sony 5100 + kit lens (a bit bigger but still probably manageable, and maybe worth it for the IQ?)

I will be hopefully getting some nice shots in India, but mostly gathering material and imagery that gets recycled into my art. I also need to be able to photograph artworks and art in progress regularly, some of which can be 1-2m.

I like to do my research but was finding the combination of sensor and lens a bit confusing with all the various options (older and newer models compared) given that I am shopping for a used camera.

Any recommendations for the sweet spot of IQ, price and portability?

Canon EOS M100 Canon G9 X Canon PowerShot S95 Casio Exilim EX-H5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow