Do we still "need" fast lenses ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,208
Great bokeh is what FF is all about?

jay-A wrote:

it’s true that modern digital photography can do away with large aperture but then it’s called a smartphone.

Let’s elaborate: great bokeh is what FF is all about, and the last thing that computational photography still struggles a bit to do without occasional artefacts. So you still want large aperture lenses. If you don’t you’re better off with an APSC, bridge or smartphone.

I find that I hardly ever use lenses wide open, both with medium format and with FF. I deeply disagree with your text that I bolded above. There are FF lenses I tend more to use wide open: the 58/1.4,105/1.4, and the 500/4E -- and, in MF, the 110/2. But even with them, I use them stopped down more than not.

Cameras are tools. You use them as you need to get the job done. Not many jobs need nearly-featureless backgrounds and paper-thin DOF. In fact, most don't.

FF and MF offer other advantages over smaller formats. The ability to make large, detailed prints, for example. DR, for example.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow