The Camera UI and User Manual

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
digitallollygag Contributing Member • Posts: 991
The Camera UI and User Manual

I fully understand deep menus and immense customization options on interchangeable-lens cameras, but why do we need to download a 230-page user manual for a point and shoot camera? The whole idea behind "point and shoot" is simplicity, or so I thought.

Things started getting out of hand with the Canon S95 I bought for my wife seven years ago. I printed out the entire user manual for her. She took one look at all those pages and immediately ran to her iPhone. She never looked back.

I find the good image quality from the Canon G9XII offset by a user interface that is not as intuitive as the S95 was. Complexities seem to be getting worse. Why are these premium compacts becoming burdened by so many features and menu options? I wonder how many users, overwhelmed by the UI, simply twirl the mode dial or select the menu option to full-auto?

I can work through the learning curve on most any camera (even Olympus, ha!), but the average Jane or Joe will simply pick up their smartphone for picture-taking before being burdened with a complicated point and shoot camera.

Your thoughts?

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +2 more
Canon G9 X Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix S9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow