A6000 first impressions: impressed with this impressive camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 1,679
A6000 first impressions: impressed with this impressive camera

This is not a review as I've only wandered around the house with it for a few minutes.

But I'm already impressed. The menus are not too difficult to peruse. The controls are intuitive and effective. The camera is fast and responsive. The sensor seems significantly better than M43 sensors. I like the colours better than Panasonic. More blue in the greens rather than yellow. And it doesn't turn pinks and reds purple. EVF and screen are fine. Decent size and resolution. They work and that's all that counts. Tilt screen tilts nice and smoothly. My Panasonic GX85 tilt screen is very stiff.

Video:

I was very surprised to find the video quality is VERY good. Especially shooting XAVC S (50Mb per second). The review by DPreview doesn't rate video quality too highly, but they didn't even mention the XAVC S option. Perhaps this was added later with a firmware update? Anyway, I like it, and when you reduce sharpness and contrast, it's better than your average 1080p footage.

The kit lens is slightly better than I expected. Stabilization is effective, especially for video. Even the bokeh isn't bad shooting close up at 16mm. And sharpness is fine.

Handheld at 1/10 second. Cropped slightly in DXO, with old film preset applied.

Colours of foliage are a bit strange when you try to recover shadows from areas that are not sunlit, but I think that's normal for kit lenses.

I read that the kit lens isn't so sharp at the tele end, but it seems ok as long are you're not pixel peeping. I forgot to turn off DXO's lens sharpness setting, which is a bit excessive, so this photo looks a bit weird at 100%.

All in all, I think this is an amazing package for the size and weight. Much better than your typical entry level DSLR, although I expect it was a fair bit more expensive than an entry level DSLR when it was first released. Can't wait to try it with my new Sigma lens.

The only thing I find the camera is missing is IBIS, but that was added in the more expensive a6500.

Boss of Sony's gear list:Boss of Sony's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a6000 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow