Need Help on Camera Settings (Where to Start) - Shooting Large Lanterns at Night

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Theolodin New Member • Posts: 6
Need Help on Camera Settings (Where to Start) - Shooting Large Lanterns at Night

Hello All,

I am planning on doing some shooting at a Chinese Lantern Festival and I am trying to figure out beforehand where I should start when it comes to the camera settings or if I need a new lens for the occasion. I am new to DSLR photography, and I am still learning.
Here is what I will be shooting: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/moonlight-forest-lantern-art-festival-at-the-los-angeles-arboretum-2018-tickets-47274537414

I will be using a Canon 77D with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.
I am trying to get the best photos as possible.

So here are my questions:

1) What should be the starting settings (I know I should do more adjustments when I am there), ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, to get the best shots?
2) Do I need a tripod for my current setup?
3) Should I pick up (possibly borrow) a somewhat cheap lens, that has aperture of f/1.8 or so, something like the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens?
4) Do I need a tripod for the 50mm?

Thank you in advance for the help?

Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow